Welcome

Thank you all for reading my rambles. All comments are read and appreciated. There have been some great comments recently so many, many thanks. I'm sorry if I haven't managed to comment on your blog I do read them as often as I can.

Sunday, May 27, 2007

The British Museum

Had a trip into Central London on Friday. I had a great time. We visited the BM after calling into Gulltronics and buying my new diddy (small) laptop.

I'm doing some research into African textiles and the museum has a great African gallery, took lots of photos.

This 'foil quilt' is made from the torn foil that surrounds wine bottle tops. It's so colourful and is on the wall as you go into the gallery.



There was a short film about Kangas - a form of clothing worn by both men (around the house) and women (at all times). There is a very comprehensive history of the kanga at
http://www.glcom.com/hassan/kanga_history.html Copy and paste this link into your browser to view if you don't have a direct link. Wikipedia has a shorter definition of the word kanga. The picture below is from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanga_(African_garment)

Kangas drying in Zanzibar



Click on the title of this post to check out the British Museum website

No comments: